Penny has lived principally in Wales and her native Yorkshire, with occasional periods of living and working in France. Currently settled in Powys, Mid-Wales she is both an artist and an art therapist, two activities which inform and nourish one another.
Whether in painting, drawing, or printmaking, my work is concerned with the exploration of psychological states of being. When an image stirs a response in me, I may keep coming back to it for years, and I find that, gradually, what may have started out as an observation from life takes on a life of its own, charged, in my mind, with an almost mythic, talismanic quality. For me a piece of art is a focus of tensions, a place where different aspects of reality are brought into relation, react with one another, and open up new lines of communication. In my work, dream, fantasy, emotion have at least an equal standing with the physical particularities of the world.
One of my main preoccupations is the human head, which could be seen as the ultimate human sign, both object and subject, at once a barrier between the outside and the inside, and a continually metamorphosing site of interaction between the two. It has its objective life as an organic thing in the natural world; but it also has that quality of an uncapturable immaterial entity in a constant state of process.
2011 - Shield tour: - Aberystwyth Ysgol gelf/School of Art Gallery
2010 – Shield tour:
- The Workshop Gallery, The Old Library, Cardiff
- Material Gallery, Ludlow
- Oriel Contemporary Art, Hay on Wye. Joint show with Stuart MacIndoe
2009 – Poesy, Dylan Thomas Centre, Swansea
2006 – Bodywork, The Art Shop Gallery, Abergavenny
2004 – Pieces, The Art Shop Gallery, Abergavenny
Selected group exhibitions
2012 - Beep 2012: Through Tomorrow’s Eyes, Wales International Painting Prize, Swansea.
- Dinefwr Literary Festival, Literature Wales, Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire
- a monstrous regiment of women, Cynon Valley Museum, Aberdare, Mid Glamorgan
2011 - Imagined Machines, Testbed, Oriel Davies, Powys
- Frederick J Fredericks, Craig y Cilau National Nature Reserve, Powys
- Y Lle Celf, National Eisteddfod, Wrecsam
- Sublinear, Elysium Gallery, Swansea
- Citizen, Tactile Bosch, Cardiff.
- Female Frame (3), Wales Millenium Centre, Bute Place, Cardiff
- Artemisia, St. David’s Hall, Hayes, Cardiff,
2010 – Arts Engine Alive – Brecknock Museum and Art Gallery, Brecon, Powys
- After the End, Elysium Gallery, Swansea
- Welsh Contemporaries, Oriel Contemporary Art, Hay on Wye, Powys
- Female Frame (2), Pontardawe Arts Centre
2009 – Encounters at Elysium Gallery, Swansea, as part of Swansea Fringe Festival
- Wood, Canvas, Steel, Tactile Bosch, Cardiff
- Wrecsam Print International 2009
- Overview, Elysium Gallery, Swansea
2008 – Group show, Material Gallery, Ludlow, Herefordshire
- Works on Paper, Elysium Gallery, Swansea
2007 – Alumni Exhibition, School of Art Gallery, Aberystwyth
- Intaglio Exhibition, St. David’s Hall, Cardiff
- Artist’s Access to Art College exhibition at Hereford College of Art
- Female Frame (1) The Art Shop, Abergavenny
2006 – Re-generation, County Hall, London
- Drawing is a Verb, Drawing is a Noun, Stone Gallery, Dublin
2005 – Group show, West Wales Arts Centre, Pembrokeshire
- Joint exhibition, The Art Shop, Abergavenny, Monmouthshire
2004 – Group show, Art Apartment, Knaresborough, North Yorkshire
- Group exhibition, St Anthony Gallery, Cardiff
2003 - Summer show, Washington Gallery, Penarth, Cardiff
- Women’s Open Exhibition, The Old Library, Cardiff
2002 – Summer and Christmas show, The Washington Gallery, Penarth, Cardiff
2010 – Arts Council Wales: Research and Development Grant – ‘The Orpheus Project’
2009 – Funding award from ‘cyfle i greu chance to create’ Powys County Council’s Arts Development Service
2006/7 – Selected for the Artists Access to Art Colleges Scheme (hosted by Hereford College of Art and Design)
2011 – Interfaces: encounters beyond the page / screen / stage. 29 Jan 2011. University of Exeter, Arts and Humanities Research Council. Multi-media panel presentation with Lyndon Davies for Orpheus Project.
2010 – Myth, Literature and the Unconscious. 2 – 4 Sept 2010. University of Essex, Centre for Myth studies: Dept. literature, Film and theatre studies: Centre for Psychoanalytic studies. Multi-media panel presentation with Lyndon Davies for Orpheus Project.
2010 Illustrations fo SHIELD by Lyndon Davies, Parthian Books 2008 Cover for HYPHASIS by Lyndon Davies, Parthian Books
PGCE Art and Diploma Art Therapy, Birmingham Polytechnic – 1984
BA Hons – Visual Arts/Art History, Aberystwyth University – 1982
Wakefield Polytechnic Foundation Course – 1978
Private collections Work held in France, Wales, USA, England